October 15, 2007

Upgrading to Gutsy - lessons learnt

Having previously had problems when upgrading from Edgy to Feisty, I took extra care this time around. I saved an image of my root and home partitions (with partimage on systemrescue cd) to begin with. I then uninstalled Beryl and commented out unofficial repositories in my sources list. Having done that, I started the upgrade with 'update-manager -d' (needed only till the final release is out). The upgrade went quite well this time and soon I had gutsy running smoothly on my desktop. Few of the lessons I learnt were -

1. Dont know if it is required to uninstall Beryl, but that worked for me.
2. Good idea to make sure you have about 50o-1000 MB free space on your root partition before you start.
3. While it is not required to 'babysit' during the long upgrade process, check on it once in a while. Once, coming back after a couple of hours, I found it waiting for me to declare if I wanted to keep some old configuration files or change them.
4. Virtualbox worked after running the setup once. This made it easy since there is no package for gutsy at the virtualbox site and the repos only have the OSE (which is lacking in some features).

All in all, it was a pretty painless upgrade and if you are, like me, debating if you should upgrade or do a fresh install, it seems worthwhile trying the upgrade if you have the system already set up to your liking.

No comments: